About United Netherlands
United Netherlands is an internationally oriented, student-led organization that focuses on the world of international relations and diplomacy. We aim to create a platform where talented, ambitious and motivated young people challenge each other to develop their full potential as global citizens. Within this network of driven young people from diverse backgrounds, gaining skills and knowledge is key in preparation for global challenges to come.
Examples of our activities and programs include the accredited 10 EC United Nations and Multilateral Diplomacy course, and its corresponding delegation to Oxford University and Harvard University Model UN conferences; the Public Speaking Program; and the High School Program.
Since United Netherlands’ inception in 2004, its drive for excellence has never faded.
Organizational set-up and position of the Supervisory Board within United Netherlands
United Netherlands’ Board, consisting of a group of university students, is responsible for the daily execution of United Netherlands’ programs and operations. At all times, the Board works towards realizing United Netherlands’ purpose and contributes to achieving it.
United Netherlands’ Board is supervised by the Supervisory Board, and the Board receives formal and informal advice from the United Netherlands Advisory Board.
The Supervisory Board consists of three to four members, including a chairperson. The roles and areas of attention that require specific qualities or expertise are divided among the members of the Supervisory Board.
General duties of the Supervisory Board
The Supervisory Board supervises the realization of the objectives of United Netherlands, the functioning of the board and the general course of affairs within the organization. The relationship between the Supervisory Board and the Board is characterized as supervising, positive, and constructive.
Supervision takes place through the inspection of an annual plan and annual report, bimonthly meetings, and regular reporting. Additionally, the ultimate responsibility for recruitment of board members and financial control lies with the Supervisory Board. Supervision is guided by United Netherlands’ long-term objectives and the welfare of the foundation.
In this context, the Supervisory Board monitors:
- strategy and the risks associated with the activities of the organization;
- financial reporting;
- compliance with laws and regulations;
- realization of the (statutory) objectives of the organization;
- the relationship with United Netherlands’ main sponsor, the Radboud University;
- the relationship with other key stakeholders, such as MUN conferences, aMUNli and high schools;
- continuity of the management of the organization and succession.
Finally, in the context of continuity, the Supervisory Board is also part of the final round of annual interviews for incoming boards.
Our next member of the Supervisory Board:
- is capable of fulfilling the supervisory duties in an independent, professional, and original manner;
- has the knowledge, skills, and network to advise or assist the board;
- is responsible, dependable and motivated to play a (pro)active role within the Supervisory Board;
- is a team player and capable of inspiring and motivating others;
- is available for at least 16 hours a month;
- is prepared to be physically present at a bimonthly meeting at least six times a year;
- preferably has demonstrable affinity with student organizations, such as United Netherlands.
Personal Learning Goals
UNL is an organization focused on learning and development. Although the role of the Supervisory Board is mainly to provide advice to the Board based on experience, United Netherlands also offers members of the Supervisory Board the opportunity to set their own learning objectives. Applicants are therefore asked to prepare their views on this, as well as the expectations they have for the advertised position.
For more information, do not hesitate to contact the Supervisory Board for the attention of Frank van de Wolde. An informal chat to discuss expectations is possible. Parties are requested to send their CV and motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for sending in an application is August 22nd, 2022.